Dear BSC Alumni,
DEADLINE EXTENDED! Submit or mail in your Alumni letter(s) to a graduating BSC senior at this link. The NEW final submission deadline is Wednesday, April 21st, at 11:59 pm.
OUR 136 SENIORS ARE COUNTING ON YOU!
If you’ve been wanting to write a letter but have not yet done so, now's your chance! Write a letter of encouragement and congratulations to graduating BSC seniors to support them as they graduate from university and dive into their careers and futures during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you HAVE already written a letter, thank you for connecting with our BSC members! Our seniors genuinely appreciate the passion and inspiration alumni are putting in their letters.
Writing a letter to a senior is quick and fun! Below are some authentic quotes taken from Alumni who have already submitted their letters:
- “Congratulations on your graduation! What a huge accomplishment, especially during these difficult times! Appreciate yourself for what you’ve done. I am extremely proud of you, and so are many, many other people.”
- “The best thing about living in the BSC is that the friends you made while living in your co-op house are the friends you will keep for the rest of your life… the friends you made at the Co-op will be with you forever.”
- “The one thing I’ve learned about “The Future” is that you never know what’s coming, so you’d better find a way to enjoy the ride.”
Wow! These are such amazing quotes! Thanks to the alumni who wrote them; we hope to continue seeing more awesome content like this as your letters roll in.
To participate in our letter-writing program, please address your letter(s) to:
BSC Alumni Letters
c/o Berkeley Student Cooperative
2424 Ridge Road
Berkeley, CA 94709
Please have your letters mailed in by Wednesday, April 21st.
Things to consider when writing your letter:
- Make it personal. Feel free to be honest, open, and reflective in your letters. The graduates want to hear from you as a wise alum!
- Every BSC Alum has something to share with current students. While there may be a couple of generations between some Alumni and the graduating class of 2021, we’ve all been impacted by the BSC and have shared co-op experiences (say, workshift! Community building! Lifelong friendships! etc.). Every student is worth supporting regardless of house, major, or academic/career interests—you can connect more than you realize!
- Keep it on the shorter side. Please keep your letters between 100-500 words if possible.
- Acknowledge the extraordinary times we are in. The class of 2021 is graduating during the COVID-19 pandemic, when all classes are virtual and each day is filled with enormous challenges. Be cognizant of what it must be like to graduate in a world affected by the pandemic. Validate students’ worries or fears. If you were graduating in times like right now, what would YOU want to hear from an alum?
- Consider networking—provide your email and/or other contact information in your letter! Especially in the current moment, graduates are longing to make connections with alumni, who could provide a wealth of knowledge, resources, and experiences. Graduates will really appreciate knowing there's a person they can reach out to and contact, and a person to support them during these uncertain times—let them know that's an option if you feel comfortable.
- End it on a positive note. What’s something encouraging you can say to a graduate to keep their head up and to not lose hope?
Here are some example prompts to start you thinking about what to write in your letters (suggested 100-500 words)...
- What’s one thing you wish you knew after graduation? What’s something encouraging or helpful you could say to someone in the BSC graduating from college today?
- Rejection from job applications is common as a post-grad alum. How did you deal with job or internship rejections coming out of college, and how did you overcome it?
- What’s one thing that gives you hope during these uncertain times?
We are excited to see your letters coming in. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Zoe Antonoff, BSC Member (Stebbins Hall)
Development & Alumni Relations Committee