- Cabinet Election Results 2021-2022
- A message from your Summer Committee President
- COVID-19 Update: Variants, Vaccines, and Masks - Oh My!
- Summer House Account Budget Report (HABR) as of July 30, 2021
- THE BSC IS HIRING!
- Seeking Head Teachers!
- Help feed the co-opers
- Elections Workers Needed!
- All BSC members and graduates are encouraged to join our LinkedIn Group!
- CENTRAL OFFICE
Cabinet Election Results 2021-2022
This Saturday (7/31), the BSC Board of Directors held elections for cabinet members. I am pleased to announce that the 2021-2022 Cabinet is composed of the following:
- President: Olivia Kehoe, they/them, email@example.com
- VPIA: Dylan Williams, he/they, firstname.lastname@example.org
- VPET: Zoe Hayes, they/them, email@example.com
- VPEA: Victor Vasquez, he/him, firstname.lastname@example.org
- VPCF: Benjamin Kelley, he/him, email@example.com
- NECM: Rafael Grillo Avila, he/him, firstname.lastname@example.org
We are eager to work in collaboration with you all to strengthen the BSC and meet member needs! Please reach out if you have any questions.
Olivia Kehoe (they/them)
A message from your Summer Committee President
Dear BSC Members:
I am writing to inform you all that after careful deliberation, the Summer Committee has voted to end our working relationship with former Interim Executive Director Teena Lorie Harris, effective July 29th, 2021. This decision came after meetings and conversations with members, staff, alumni, and other stakeholders of the organization. After a recommendation from the Executive Director Hiring Committee and input from those in attendance at SumCom, the Summer Committee voted to officially end Teena Lorie’s independent contract with the Berkeley Student Cooperative and begin transitioning over executive duties to the current Operations Manager, Dave Chelsea-Seifert, and the Board and Executive Assistant, Zoe Wan.
Summer Committee made this decision for the following reasons:
- Despite promises to relocate to Berkeley by April and given funds to accommodate moving costs, Teena Lorie Harris has not been present in Berkeley to fulfill their emergency response and supervisor responsibilities. As a result, several member needs were not addressed which could have had severe consequences for members and the BSC.
- Teena Lorie has been found to have other work obligations that prevented her from dedicating their full efforts to the BSC.
- The Executive Director Hiring Committee, board, and several employees felt that Teena Lorie’s management style did not reflect the values and expectations of the BSC, and disrupted the organizational structure and emphasis on member participation, collaboration, and input.
- Teena Lorie was not compliant in completing employment paperwork or submitting invoices for her work.
This coming Thursday, August 5th, 2021, the Summer Committee will consider a proposal to direct Dave Chelsea-Seifert and Zoe Wan to share the Acting Executive Director duties while the EDHC carries out the search for a permanent Executive Director. Additionally, a temporary Finance consultant will step in while a new Finance & Accounting Manager is hired and onboarded. Teena Lorie Harris no longer has access to her BSC email. So, any emails sent to email@example.com pertaining to internal and/or operational issues should be sent to Dave Chelsea-Seifert (firstname.lastname@example.org), and any emails pertaining to external relations and/or requiring the ED’s attention should be sent to Zoe Wan (email@example.com). For any outstanding member issues and/or concerns, please email me, Olivia Kehoe (firstname.lastname@example.org). Teena Lorie has agreed to an expedited transition and will turn over all emails, contacts, and documents to assist with the transition of responsibilities.
To ensure that the BSC is still able to provide support and care to members, and to relieve added pressure on professional and student staff, the following items are underway:
- The search for a new Finance & Accounting Manager has been prioritized. For more information, please contact Ben Kelly at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The search for a new Cooperative Experience Manager has also been prioritized. For more information, please contact Zoe Hayes at email@example.com and Dylan Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I, and the rest of the Summer Committee, will be present and available to answer any questions and respond to concerns. SumCom Open Hours will be ongoing and the board will work diligently to ensure things are in place before the start of the fall semester. Please reach out if you need anything or would like to get involved!!
COVID-19 Update: Variants, Vaccines, and Masks - Oh My!
WRITTEN BY MINDY DAI (ERT Member) and DAVE CHELSEA-SEIFERT (Operations Manager)
Dear all Co-opers:
As you all probably know, many places, including the Bay Area, are facing a fourth surge of COVID-19. This has primarily been driven by the Delta variant, which is proving to be much more infectious and potentially more virulent than the original strain of COVID-19. While we understand that the news about the Delta variant has been alarming, we would like to emphasize that infections in those fully vaccinated (or “breakthrough” infections) remain rare and usually only cause mild symptoms. This underscores the extreme importance of getting vaccinated if you can get vaccinated. All three vaccines are free, highly effective in preventing serious disease, and readily available.
Some key things to note:
- Going into the Fall term, our COVID-19 guidelines will remain the same. Units should still be limiting gatherings to the outdoors; gatherings should be limited to those living in the unit. Our guidelines come from recommendations from public health officials and we will be re-evaluating them as the situation evolves.
- We would like to emphasize that masks still must be worn while in indoor common areas. While breakthrough infections are rare, vaccinated people who have breakthrough infections can still transmit the virus. The City of Berkeley just instituted a mask mandate that will be effective at midnight tonight. This order strongly recommends that fully vaccinated people, as well as unvaccinated and not fully vaccinated persons, wear masks in non-public indoor settings when people from multiple households are present.
- If you are a UC Berkeley student who did not get vaccinated through UHS, please upload your vaccination record to your eTang portal if you have not done so already.
- While many of you are vaccinated, the overall percent of fully vaccinated people in the 16-34 age range in Berkeley is still only around 54%, so we urge everyone to exercise caution, especially in indoor public places.
- UC Berkeley’s COVID-19 website
- University Health Services website
- City of Berkeley’s COVID-19 website
Responding to positive cases, questions, and concerns:
Emergency Response Team
The Emergency Response Team (ERT) oversees the overall BSC guidelines and strategic direction. The ERT can be reached at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Action Team
The COVID-19 Action Team (CAT) responds to positive cases and other operational activities. The CAT can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We understand that these recent developments have been frustrating and scary, and we appreciate everyone’s continued cooperation in keeping the BSC and the wider community safe.
Summer House Account Budget Report (HABR) as of July 30, 2021
WRITTEN BY KATIE ALDUCIN (Accounts Payable Specialist)
First and absolutely foremost, a very HAPPY LEO SEASON to you all!! Attached is the House Account Budget Report as of July 30th, 2021. Please open, and take a gander at both the HABR SU Summary and HABR SU Detail reports. You can find your apartment/house tab along the bottom to view your unit's report.
If you need any clarification or are interested to learn more about your house's finances please don't hesitate to reach out: email@example.com.
THE BSC IS HIRING!
WRITTEN BY CASSIDY MARSTERS (Hiring Committee Chair)
Looking for a job that works with your busy student schedule? Want to get paid $18.00/hr and gain valuable work experience? Look no further! The BSC has you covered! We have a variety of jobs for Fall 2021. Applications are due August 6, 2021 by 11:59 p.m. but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Details can be found at hicom.bsc.coop. Questions? Please email Cassidy Marsters, the Hiring Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2021 Positions:
- AdCom Chair
- Administrative Member Advisor
- Central Office Receptionist
- Conduct Committee Member
- Consent Chair
- Delivery Coordinator
- Fenwick Assistant Manager
- Health Education Coordinator
- Health Worker Coordinator
- Member Resources Assistant
- Non-Perishables Coordinator
- Operations Crew
- Produce Coordinator
- Proteins Coordinator
- Publications Coordinator
- Recruitment Assistant
- Recruitment Coordinator
- Social Manager Coordinator
Rochdale/Fenwick Maintenance Crew Member Needed
WRITTEN BY CHRIS KELLEY (Human Resources Manager)
The Rochdale/Fenwick Maintenance Crew Member is a Part-Time 20 hour per week position. This position performs basic maintenance, repair and improvement work at the Rochdale & Fenwick apartment complexes near UC Berkeley and assists in training apartment student crew members in repair and maintenance techniques. The Rochdale/Fenwick Crew Member must possess the ability and desire to provide excellent customer service and work effectively in a cooperative, student-run organization.
Seeking Head Teachers!
Teachers and Assistant Teachers Job Opportunities - Scientific Adventures for Girls (based in the SF Bay Area) is looking for teachers and TAs for our after school STEM classes. Click on the above link for more information and to apply.
Help feed the co-opers - apply to work in CFS this fall!
Multiple positions are now open in Central Food & Supplies, the warehouse that distributes food, supplies, and furniture to all the co-ops!
- Operations Leader
- Proteins Coordinator
- Produce Coordinator
- Delivery Coordinator (2 positions)
- NonPerishables Coordinator (2 positions)
- Waste Reduction Coordinator
- Administrative Assistant
See the BSC jobs website for more information including hours and required / desired availability.
Please feel free to reach out to Miguel Duarte, CFS Supervisor (email@example.com) with any questions.
Elections Workers Needed!
WRITTEN BY Alameda County Registrar of Voters
The Alameda County Registrar of Voters (ROV) is preparing to appoint Election Workers to serve on the September 14, 2021, CA Gubernatorial Recall. This Election will be conducted for 4 days from Saturday, September 11th through Tuesday, September 14th. We encourage Election Workers to serve all 4 days ($20 bonus). We are following mandates from County and State COVID-19 requirements. Personal Protective Equipment will be provided during training and voting dates.
Election Workers are needed on the following dates and hours:
- Saturday, September 11th, 7:30 am to 6:00 pm
- Sunday, September 12th, 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Monday, September 13th, 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
- Tuesday, September 14th, 6:00 am to 9:00 pm
Please Login to Poll Worker Profile to complete the Survey Card using one of the 2 options below. If you have not, Register your Poll Worker Profile. If you have already done so, Login to your Poll Worker Profile.
All Election Workers are required to attend a MANDATORY 2-HOUR In-Person Training Class and COMPLETE a 2-hour Online Training Class in order to be eligible to serve on Election Day. Any worker, who has attended the training class and cancels on or before Election Day, will NOT be compensated for attending the training class.
The Registrar of Voters reserves the right to appoint Election Workers based on who is available for all four days, serving history, ROV needs and on a first come first serve basis. Notice of Appointments with assigned training date will be emailed the 1st week of August.
Lawful Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) may serve as Election Workers.
We also have a great need for Bilingual Election Workers who are fluent in English/ and Burmese, Chinese, Hindi, Khmer, Korean, Laotian, Mien, Mongolian, Punjabi, Spanish, Tagalog, Telugu or Vietnamese to serve in designated Bilingual Accessible Voting Location assignments.
If you have questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at (510) 272-6971.
All BSC members and graduates are encouraged to join our LinkedIn Group!
- Find out about jobs and opportunities
- Ask alumni to review your resume and more
2424 Ridge Road, Berkeley, CA 94709
(In front of Casa Zimbabwe)
Central Office: (510) 848-1936
Central Food & Supplies: (510) 549-5969
Central Maintenance: (510) 549-5965
Business Hours: Monday-Friday 10AM-5PM