- Update on New COVID Cases & Guidelines Reminder
- Delta Variant
- New CDC Guidance
- Responding to Positive Cases, Questions and Concerns
- How to Apply for CalFresh
- Teena Lorie Harris (She/They/Them) is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
- Summer House Account Budget Report (HABR) as of July 16, 2021
- A message from your Summer Committee President
- THE BSC IS HIRING!
- Rochdale/Fenwick Maintenance Crew Member Needed
- COVID-19 Resources and Support
- Do you need someone to talk to or just a good listener?
- Join our LinkedIn Group!
- CENTRAL OFFICE
Update on New COVID Cases & Guidelines Reminder
WRITTEN BY ZOE HAYES (ERT Member) and DAVE CHELSEA-SEIFERT (Operations Manager)
We would like to check in with you all about the status of COVID-19 in our cooperative, news on new variants such as the Delta Variant, and a recommitment to our current guidelines to keep us all safe.
- Because the BSC is classified as a “congregate living facility”, the public health orders for us may be different from what you see on social media or the news.
- You are not considered fully vaccinated until two weeks after your final dose.
Unfortunately there have been several new cases of COVID-19 in the Coop. In addition to the three cases at Rochdale and Casa Zimbabwe previously reported two weeks ago, three additional cases were reported at the end of last week.
As of July 14th, 2021, at Davis house, one member has tested positive and two other members are symptomatic. Three other members are isolating due to exposure. The entire house is sequestered per UHS, and the house is currently working with the Berkeley Department of Public Health to do contact tracing.
As of July 16th, 2021, one member has tested positive at POC house. The exposure window was July 12th-16th. Per UHS, the entire house is under quarantine, with the positive member isolating. UHS is currently performing contact tracing.
The quarantine release date is tentatively set as 7/25/21.
As of July 16th, 2021, one member of Hillegass-Parker has tested positive. Per UHS, the entire house is under quarantine, with the positive member isolating.
If you came into contact with anyone from these houses during the exposure windows and have not yet spoken with anyone from UHS or the City of Berkeley Dept. of Public Health, please e-mail Covid@bsc.coop so that we can connect you with a public health agency or help you determine if you may have been exposed.
“On June 15, 2021, the B.1.617.2 (Delta)* variant was classified as a variant of concern (VOC) because it spreads from person to person more easily than other variants and may cause more severe disease.”(CDC). The Delta Variant now accounts for 58% of new infections across the country.
The Delta Variant is a more contagious version of COVID-19, and may cause more severe disease. Although those who are vaccinated are still mostly protected, vaccines are not infallible and it is still possible to be infected, even if fully vaccinated.
However, those most at risk of being infected with the Delta Variant are still those that are unvaccinated. If you have not already gotten vaccinated, please do so as soon as possible. If you have been vaccinated, please continue to practice social distancing, mask wearing, and testing.
We will continue to monitor the situation on the Delta Variant and other variants of concern closely. We thank you for your patience as the ERT gathers information for the safety of all BSC members.
New CDC Guidance
- Although the CDC has relaxed their guidelines for businesses, the CDC has not relaxed or changed guidelines for congregate living facilities, which BSC houses and apartments adhere most closely to.
- The WHO has continued to recommend wearing a mask inside and outside around others. The WHO has also recommended continuing social distancing when seeing others, and avoiding large gatherings.
- The BSC will continue to require masks to be worn indoors in common areas at all times. Masks are not required when members are outside if and only if they are vaccinated. Masks are required outside when members are unvaccinated, COVID-symptomatic, immunocompromised, or when social distancing cannot be maintained.
- We will continue to limit gatherings to outdoors. These gatherings must still be intra-house, meaning that no guests will be allowed at unit gatherings, even if those guests are from other units in the BSC.
- Maximum capacity for indoors is 6 people, unless your unit requests an increase.
We understand that these are difficult times. We are grateful for the cooperativeness of our members in ensuring that everybody in our community is kept safe. Please continue to follow all guidelines set by the ERT to prevent the further spread of COVID-19 in our cooperative and in our community.
RESPONDING TO POSITIVE CASES, QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS:
Emergency Response Team: The Emergency Response Team (ERT) oversees the overall BSC guidelines and strategic direction. The ERT can be reached at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Action Team: The COVID-19 Action Team (CAT) responds to positive cases and other operational activities. The CAT can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply For CalFresh
WRITTEN BY TEENA LORIE HARRIS (Interim Executive Director)
I want to share a resource to assist our members that may have food insecurity.
CalFresh, also known as SNAP/EBT, is a long term food assistance program that awards eligible students up to $234 per month for groceries.
It can be used to buy nutritious and healthy foods.
CalFresh funds are loaded monthly into an EBT card that can be used just like a debit card at most major chain grocery stores, convenience stores, some smaller stores like the Berkeley Student Food Collective, and even select farmers' markets!
Here is the Link for CalFresh. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Teena Lorie Harris (She/They/Them) is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 959 9468 4212
Dial by your location
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
Summer House Account Budget Report (HABR) as of July 16, 2021
WRITTEN BY KATIE ALDUCIN (Accounts Payable Specialist)
Attached is the First House Account Budget Report for Summer 2021. Please open both the HABR SU Summary and the HABR SU Detail reports and find your apartment/house tabs along the bottom to view your unit's report.
I've included a little overview video of how to read the reports that you can check out if this is all new to you or maybe if you need a refresher. We will be aiming to catch up on all Costing and CFS data by the next report, which will be sent out this Friday, 7/23 to your manager team.
If you need any clarification on any of this information at all or are interested to learn more about your house's finances, please don't hesitate to reach out!
Thanks everyone for all your help, cooperation, and understanding.
A message from your Summer Committee President
Are you interested in the inner workings of the BSC? Do you thrive in collaborative and leadership roles? Please consider running for Board Rep! Running for Board allows you to represent the interests of your house at the central level of the organization. Additionally, we are holding cabinet elections this Wednesday evening (7/21) at 5pm! You are welcome to attend and view, or run if you are a board rep. Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
Summer Committee President
The BSC is Hiring!
WRITTEN BY CASSIDY MARSTERS (Hiring Committee Chair)
Looking for a job that works with your busy student schedule? Want to get paid $18.00/hr and gain valuable work experience? Look no further! The BSC has you covered! We have a variety of jobs for Fall 2021. Applications are due July 7, 2021 by 11:59 p.m. Details can be found at hicom.bsc.coop. Questions? Please email Cassidy Marsters, the Hiring Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2021 Positions
- AdCom Assistant
- AdCom Chair
- Administrative Member Advisor
- Central Office Receptionist
- CFS Administrative Assistant
- Conduct Committee Member
- Consent Chair
- DARCom Member
- Delivery Coordinator
- Fenwick Assistant Manager
- Health Education Coordinator
- Health Worker Coordinator
- Hiring Committee Chair
- Hiring Committee Member
- Member Resources Assistant
- Non-Perishables Coordinator
- Operations Crew
- Produce Coordinator
- Proteins Coordinator
- Publications Coordinator
- Recruitment Assistant
- Recruitment Coordinator
- Rochdale/Fenwick Maintenance Crew
- Social Manager Coordinator
- Waste Reduction Coordinator
Rochdale/Fenwick Maintenance Crew Member Needed
WRITTEN BY CHRIS KELLEY (Human Resources Manager)
The Rochdale/Fenwick Maintenance Crew Member is a Part-Time 20 hour per week position. This position performs basic maintenance, repair and improvement work at the Rochdale & Fenwick apartment complexes near UC Berkeley and assists in training apartment student crew members in repair and maintenance techniques. The Rochdale/Fenwick Crew Member must possess the ability and desire to provide excellent customer service and work effectively in a cooperative, student-run organization.
COVID-19 Resources and Support
WRITTEN BY THE EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
The ERT is keeping up with the news, in routine contact with our partners at UHS, and actively assessing the BSC’s COVID-19 guidelines. Please direct any vaccine related questions to Emmett at email@example.com and any questions about BSC policy to Mindy at firstname.lastname@example.org. All are welcome to attend ERT office hours every Sunday from 2–4PM [Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/95459224082#success] and/or email us at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
Questions or concerns about COVID? Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns about COVID. You will receive a response within normal business hours, if not sooner. We are checking messages over the weekend too! Check out this 1-page guide on what to do if you have symptoms, exposure, or a positive test result.
Do you need someone to talk to or just a good listener?
WRITTEN BY MADELEINE LOH (Development Director)
Russ Button (BSC Member in the 1970s) is a Chaplain Intern at Kaiser Hospital and was recently ordained by The Chaplaincy Institute of Berkeley as an Interfaith Minister and Chaplain. The work of interfaith chaplain is to be a listener for people of all faith traditions and those of no faith tradition as well. It is not the role of chaplain to preach religion, but we are to be present for those who are facing a spiritual crisis such as the grief one has at the death of someone they love—a family member, lover or close friend. Crisis of spirit can also come from questioning the path in life one is walking. Russ Button is available to be present for and listen to BSC members experiencing grief or crisis. Contact Russ Button if you are experiencing grief or crisis.
All BSC members and graduates are encouraged to join our LinkedIn Group!
- Find out about jobs and opportunities
- Ask alumni to review your resume: "I am a recent graduate and I would be grateful if anyone with experience in ____ would be willing to review my resume!"
- Message other group members for free and request informational interviews: "Hello ___, I am a recent graduate and a BSC alum. I am interested in working in ____. Would you be willing to have a short phone call so I can ask you questions about your experience?"
2424 Ridge Road, Berkeley, CA 94709
(In front of Casa Zimbabwe)
Central Office: (510) 848-1936
Central Food & Supplies: (510) 549-5969
Central Maintenance: (510) 549-5965
Business Hours: Monday–Friday 10 a.m.–5 p.m.