We’ve been here for 90 years… here’s to 90 more!
We’ve identified just a few ways that students can engage with to celebrate the BSC’s 90th Anniversary.
The goals of this effort are to: 1) build stronger alumni relationships through celebrating the 90th Anniversary of the BSC; 2) increase awareness of the co-op and its successes as an affordable housing supplier to the local region; 3) increase relationships with local influential people, whether professors on campus, local businesses in Berkeley, City politicians, or other Bay Area regional people who can advocate for the BSC in some way.
Below are some ideas for students to consider engaging with. We’d love to see each house unit at least one of these events this semester! Please share your ideas with the BSC’s Development Department: 90th Anniversary Participation Interest Form
Keep in mind: alumni need much more advance notice to attend an event so 4 weeks’ notice to “Save the Date” for the event and 3 weeks before the event for invitations is a good idea to get alumni attendance. And each unit was $200/ semester to host alumni events!
Build stronger alumni relationships through celebrating the 90th Anniversary of the BSC
- Open your House to alumni to visit
- Have a Zoom music/story/open mic night and invite alumni
- Invite alumni to join a Zoom call to share their favorite co-op memories & record it!
- Open a meal or two for alumni to join (this could be a fun way for us to partner with the Alumni Association & welcome new alumni into the Alumni Association)
- Put together a history presentation on your house & invite alumni to hear what you’ve put together & to add to it with their memories & information!
- Host an Alumni HI (Home Improvement) Event - pick a HI project and invite alumni to come improve your unit!
- Pick your favorite Rochdale Principle or Co-op Value & make a presentation on why that’s meaningful to you and how your house shows up in that way
Increase awareness of the co-op and its successes as an affordable housing supplier to the local region for the past 90 years
- Make a media piece that shares how you feel the co-op is supporting students to access affordable housing - every piece will need to be reviewed before it goes out to the public! These could be: blogs, podcasts, op-eds, photo-journalism pieces, comics, zines, poems, or any other media you choose!
- Collaborate with Portia & Elissa to reach out to local businesses to share about the co-op, learn about their business’s history in Berkeley, and determine if there’s a way to collaborate to support each other
- Collaborate with EACom members who are always coming up with cool, important projects!
- Feature the BSC in one of your class projects/presentations & record that presentation, then share it with the BSCAA
- Host an event w/ a fellow co-op organization! (Rochdale Principle #7!)
Increase relationships with local influential people, whether professors on campus, local businesses in Berkeley, City politicians, or other Bay Area regional people who can advocate for the BSC in some way
- Collaborate with EACom on outreach to City of Berkeley and other local politicians
- Share about your co-op to your favorite professor & ask if they want to know more - if they do, connect them with VPEA and Portia/Elissa