Dear all Co-opers:
As the Spring term winds down, we have important information and updates regarding the Summer term.
- Because the BSC is classified as a “congregate living facility”, the public health orders for us may be different from what you see on social media or the news.
- In a BSC house, a “household” is anyone living in the same bedroom.
- In a BSC apartment complex, a “household” is anyone living in the same apartment.
SEQUESTRATION WHEN MOVING IN OR RETURNING FROM TRAVEL
- BSC members who ARE fully vaccinated are NOT required to sequester unless they have 1) symptoms of COVID-19 or 2) an exposure to someone who tested positive.
- BSC members who are NOT fully vaccinated must sequester when moving into the BSC or returning from travel.
- This aligns with current public health orders for residents of congregate living facilities
- You are not considered fully vaccinated until two weeks after your final dose
- Please review this short sequestration guide for more details.
ROOM BIDS AND ROOMS
- Room bids, the BSC’s room selection process, must occur virtually and prior to move-ins.
- New members will move directly into their “permanent” rooms (i.e. no temporary rooms).
- We’re excited to welcome approximately 150 new members this summer.
- New members and folks transferring between units must schedule a move-in appointment ahead of time with the House Manager at their new unit.
- Summer House Managers will contact new members soon to schedule move-ins.
- Outside helpers should only be used if there is no one at your unit who can help you move and/or you have a health condition or disability.
COVID-19 VACCINES AND TESTING
- The BSC urges all members to get vaccinated, if they can. We do not require vaccination nor will staff or managers collect private medical information from members.
- Follow these links for vaccine availability in Alameda County, vaccine availability in Berkeley, and vaccine availability in UC Berkeley. Please note that getting a vaccine is, by law, free and open to all people regardless of insurance or immigrant status.
- Our partners in the public health department advise that both vaccinated and unvaccinated BSC members get tested for COVID-19 testing once per week. You can use our COVID-19 2-page guide to local testing resources to find testing sites.
(Effective immediately, we will be observing these new guidelines for gatherings.)
MASKS & GATHERINGS INDOORS
- Members are highly discouraged from gathering indoors, regardless of vaccine status.
- Maximum capacity in indoor spaces is 6 people unless your unit requests an increase.
- All members, staff, and vendors must continue wearing masks indoors at all times.
MASKS & GATHERINGS OUTDOORS
- BSC members may gather in outdoor common spaces with other members of their unit.
- Fully vaccinated members do not need to wear a mask or socially distance unless the space becomes crowded.
- If you’re not fully vaccinated, you must wear a mask and practice social distancing.
- Serving alcohol and amplified sound (i.e. anything involving speakers) are not allowed.
RESPONDING TO POSITIVE CASES, QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS
Emergency Response Team
The Emergency Response Team (ERT) oversees the overall BSC guidelines and strategic direction. The ERT can be reached at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Action Team
The COVID-19 Action Team (CAT) responds to positive cases and other operational activities. The CAT can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Emergency Response Team